- Spinach - 1 lb (or a bunch)
- Green gram dal (Muga dali) - 1/2 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Onion - 1/2
- Green chili - 2
- Tomato - 2
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 spoon
- Hing - a pinch
- Sambar powder - 1/2 to 1 spoon
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal - 1/2 tspn
- Salt and Oil - As required
- Cut Onion, Tomatoes and Green chilies into small pieces.
- Boil Water in a pan. Add Hing, Turmeric powder and Green gram dal into pan. Cook the dal till it turns into soft and can be smashed easily. You can also cook this dal in pressure cooker. Keep this aside.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal into the pan. Once it splutters add Green chilies, Garlic and fry till it turns into light brown color.
- Add Onion and fry till it turns into golden brown color. Then add Tomatoes and fry till it becomes soft.
- Add Sambar powder, Salt and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add Spinach and fry till the leaves are wilted and mash it with the spatula.
- Then add cooked Dal and a cup of water. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
Goes well with: Rice,Roti